How we will see unregistered users
You get this message because you are an admin on a Wikimedia wiki.
When someone edits a Wikimedia wiki without being logged in today, we show their IP address. As you may already know, we will not be able to do this in the future. This is a decision by the Wikimedia Foundation Legal department, because norms and regulations for privacy online have changed.
Instead of the IP we will show a masked identity. You as an admin will still be able to access the IP. There will also be a new user right for those who need to see the full IPs of unregistered users to fight vandalism, harassment and spam without being admins. Patrollers will also see part of the IP even without this user right. We are also working on better tools to help.
We have two suggested ways this identity could work. We would appreciate your feedback on which way you think would work best for you and your wiki, now and in the future. You can let us know on the talk page. You can write in your language. The suggestions were posted in October and we will decide after 17 January.
Thank you. /Johan (WMF)
18:11, 4 January 2022 (UTC)
Hello. I request permission for a librarian's reversal of the Category:Categories of Morocco by location. Because on December 27, 2021 I did it; and got blocked by edit war. I feel offended, and unfairly persecuted.
If your answer is negative; I promise not to bother you anymore, not to edit again and retire peacefully. Thank you. Allforrous (talk) 23:35, 21 January 2022 (UTC)
- @Allforrous: I'm not sure I understand your question. You tried to delete it because it was empty. Yann removed the speedy deletion template, but as far as I can see, didn't add any content. Maybe I've misunderstood? Anyway, I've added some content, so now it doesn't need to be deleted or to sit empty. Problem solved? -- Themightyquill (talk) 14:18, 31 January 2022 (UTC)
Deletion of a photo
The HABS/LOC info is incorrect. You can see the address of 1405 on the door in this photo and if you look at Google Street View, the address for 1422 35th Street NW is a different house. Here's a WaPo article about the house listing the correct address, which is 1405 34th Street NW. Since you have the tools can you rename the files and category? Thank you. APK (talk) 08:47, 6 May 2022 (UTC)
- @APK: Thanks for spotting this. I'd support renaming, but I don't have the tools for a mass renaming of the files. I'll move the category though. -- Themightyquill (talk) 11:49, 16 May 2022 (UTC)
- @Globetrotter19: Good work. I've edited the English description for clarity, but also changed it from "disambiguation page" to "base category" to reflect the current situation. A disambiguation page shouldn't be in any categories and shouldn't contain any content, including subcategories, just links to appropriate categories. A base category can hold the two relevant subcategories, but might also hold any images which include both buildings or the surrounding area. If you want me to change it into a disambiguation page, I'd be happy to do so. -- Themightyquill (talk) 06:59, 27 May 2022 (UTC)
Four new pictures (, ,  and ) were added to this category today, but it is a different ship (unknown IMO number for me) with the same name Barra. Can you create a correct category with the another ship Barra? Thanks --Atamari (talk) 14:15, 1 June 2022 (UTC)
- @Stunteltje: can you help with categories for ships? Thanks --Atamari (talk) 11:58, 3 June 2022 (UTC)
- Maybe Broichmore could help? -- Themightyquill (talk) 19:28, 3 June 2022 (UTC)
I am messaging you because a contest for a sound logo for Wikimedia is being developed and your opinion as a Wikimedia Commons admin is appreciated. My team would like to know if it is possible for the top finalist sound logos in the contest to have attribution temporarily hidden from public view until all the votes are final? The idea is to let the public judge the sound logo contestants based on the merit of the logo, not the person or people who made it. Again, any feedback is appreciated.
Would you be so kind, as an innovator of flat lists on Commons, to comment on a relevant issue here: Commons:Categories for discussion/2022/06/Category:Streets in Moscow Oblast by name? Александр Мотин (talk) 18:17, 19 June 2022 (UTC)
- @Александр Мотин: I certainly favour creating flat list categories over redundant categorization (e.g. placing something in both Category:Streets in Moscow Oblast by name and Category:Streets in Moscow Oblast named after people) but that doesn't mean they are always a good idea. I certainly wouldn't want to see Category:Streets in Russsia by name (flat list) or Category:Streets by name (flat list). I don't have much to add to this discussion particular since I don't know much about Moscow Oblast or its streets, but I'll keep an eye on it. - Themightyquill (talk) 08:35, 22 June 2022 (UTC)
Template:FoP-Belgium has been listed at Commons:Deletion requests so that the community can discuss whether it should be kept or not. We would appreciate it if you could go to voice your opinion about this at its entry.
If you created this template, please note that the fact that it has been proposed for deletion does not necessarily mean that we do not value your kind contribution. It simply means that one person believes that there is some specific problem with it.